Skip to main content

Lander life, or how to mono and feel good about it

I've made it to the Lander area, and have been pushing through pretty warm conditions to do some rock climbing. For my first three days I sampled the (badass) bouldering here, sending an awesome V8 called "Snakebite Traverse", and also its V9 fingercrack neighbor "Snake Charmer". Yesterday was my first at Wild Iris, and it's absolutely incredible. Everything I imagined and trained for, with mono pockets everywhere. I feel like I'm in heaven. Today I rest and try to heal, but tomorrow it's time to hit some projects hard, and start making a dent in my to-do list! 

I figured, for my virtual audience, I should make a list of the positives and negatives of this trip so far. Sitting here and feeling my body ache, it's easy to think of the latter category, but I guess that's how it always is. Judge for yourself, I suppose?

The bad-
-I, in a moment of compete stupidity, did not bring sunscreen. As a result, currently my shoulders and back look as if I got a deep tissue massage from the human torch.
-Breaking in climbing shoes is not an easy process, and in my attempts to do so, both heels have ceased their claims to skin coverage, and instead are now replaced by gigantic bleeding blisters.
-My climbing partner has left for greener pastures (and rock that doesn't hurt his baby-like fingers), and I am now traveling solo again, trying to bum belays.
-My jaw is, like, cramped or something, and I can't currently close my teeth together or chew food with my left molars.
-The pit toilet is out of toilet paper.

The good-
Tomorrow, I will wake up, and be greeted by the mountains surrounding me, with the same warmth they greeted the morning's first light as I slept. As I sip my coffee, huddled in a down jacket for warmth, the wind will be my companion, carrying in its wispy fingers stories audible only to those who will listen. And I will listen to these stories as I cook and eat, of lands near and far; of people, places, and impossible landscapes. Of times ancient and modern, and of struggles and triumphs I would never have imagined. I will hoist my pack upon my shoulders then, hiking to the cliff across rolling hills carpeted with a vast array of wildflowers, contrasting the brutal environment surrounding with a multi-colored canvas of beauty and life, laughing in the face of the dry air as it weathers everything surrounding but their fragile petals. I will stand beneath the rock, fingers upon the first holds, and with a deep breath I will begin climbing, my mind totally invested, everything else fading away, until it is only myself and the rock before me, flowing underneath my fingertips, urging me upward yet simultaneously pushing me towards the ground. And in that moment, nothing else will matter, not my shoulders, jaw, gnarled fingers, or bleeding heels. Only the landscape that has adopted me as it's own, and all the vibrancy that comes along with it. And as I walk back to camp, the sun setting fire to the mountains behind me with its uncontainable burning passion for the world it warms, the emotion bursting from my chest will be something deeper than happiness. It will be an incredible mix of joy, clarity, exhaustion, and flow, and in that moment, I will remember why I turned the key in this van for the first time, and pointed it westward, driving away from familiarity into this setting sun.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flailing elbows, black eyes, and the art of driving low clearance vans down crappy dirt roads

And we're back on the road! The trip's started with a bang, and has been packed full of adventures on both granite slabs and limestone roofs. I feel significantly stronger than last trip in Victoria Canyon, and was able to put down two projects that got away due to scrawny forearms last summer. I've gotten to catch up with some old friends (and inadvertently gave one a nasty shiner due to chicken-winging out of a big ol' dyno), and have already had the privilege of meeting a plethora of new people in the ever-magical Black Hills. There are countless more routes here I haven't yet touched, and I plan to hop on as many as possible in the next week before pointing Plastic Jesus west towards Lander and some unfinished mono-filled business. But till then, here's a little something something to show I can still do some writing (a little bit, at least)-                                                                          *** Jesse never considered himself on

For the beta, for the fitness, for the fun

         Everyone strap in, sit down, and listen up- I've got a lot to catch you guys up on. I've been on the road going on a month, and (I know) it's been pretty complete radio silence. The saga started as always over a rainy memorial day week in the Black Hills, with the ever-present Aleasha McKickass. Baldy and the surrounding boulders delivered as always, leaving our tips ragged, egos bruised, and hair greasy. We took what felt like a deeper dive than ever into South Dakotan bouldering, using countless blocks of chalk to put up lines that felt just a hair short of first ascents. We suffered through rain, cold, and strange altitude sickness- as any climbers worth their salt should. When Aleasha had to head back to the midwest, quiver of sends in hand, I drove into Tensleep canyon with blue-streaked limestone in mind. Soon (and brace yourself, I know it's shocking) I even ended up with a long term, everyday, hell or high water partner (emphasis on high and water). Ent

Sendtember, Rocktober, and the choice between too cold and not cold enough

      Did you think I was finished traveling, and this blog over with as the result of my lack of vagrancy? Ha! Think again, I haven't grown up and started doing adult things that quickly. This one's long, so I'll keep the first bit short; it's really just for my parents' benefit anyhow and they already know most of the details. After graduation, I headed west again, and went to all the exact same places I always do because likely because I have a subconscious fear of change, and also because I already knew where all the good coffee shops are. First came Tensleep, where I fell off things I probably shouldn't have, gained endurance, and spent more time hanging out in the river by camp than was likely fruitful. Following Tensleep we made the short run over to Lander, and a crag that has a bit of a place in local legend. Wolf Point has one of the highest concentrations of difficult routes in the country, and with the addition of a heinous approach and exceedingly s